Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Great Zo-dini

The other day I mentioned to some friends that we don't even try to swaddle Zoe anymore - she doesn't want anything to do with it. I have many friends who swear by swaddling. They say it is the best thing to calm your baby and help them sleep. The problem is that Zoe just gets even more upset when we try to swaddle her. My friend suggested that I try those specialty swaddling blankets that have the velcro on them so that you can wrap them really tight and make sure they stay that way. She even loaned me a couple of the blankets that she wasn't using. We decided to give it a try last night. I wrapped that thing as tight as I could get it - far past the intended velcro fasteners. For the first 10 seconds of swaddling, Zoe was quiet, but looking at us with these huge eyes that said "what do you crazy people think you're doing?" 30 seconds (and some loud screams) later, she had managed to do this:

She pulled her arms out of the swaddling blanket that was specifically designed to keep the arms in. At least she knows what she wants :-) I'm thinking of buying some straight jackets so that she can practice her escape and make us some money in a travelling circus. What do you think?

3 comments:

Rachel Allen said...

My baby is the same way. He would go crazy when we tried to swaddle him. He definitely is a mover and I wish I could wrap him tight for his own good. . .but no. He likes his freedom. Your little Zoe is a doll! Hope the recovery is going well for you.

TheAlfonsos said...

I'm with Zoe - I wouldn't want to be restrained that way either :)

Nelson Family Album said...

The escapists always find a way...watch out for her in the future! Can't wait to meet her in person! PS, I took my phone swimming...so I have no more contacts and had to buy a new phone. On the positive side, my phone number remains the same (both home and cell...) Congratulations on Baby Zoe! She looks gorgeous!